Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GM 5.7 Filters assistance required please

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyke61

Technical User
Jan 16, 2004
GB
I am struggling with Filters in GM5.7, I have set up a filter to find all records in a defined town and this works fine, I then set a seperate filter to find contacts with a defined title or reference, this does not find any records although the expression is build from existing fields i.e title contains design engineer, I have checked that such records exist. I also have my own keys within the mail merge fields i.e DE and the filter does not pick this up either.

Hello

Does the second filter work while the first one is inactive? I'm confused why you have a seperate filter. Is it a filter within a filter? Can you do the same thing with one filter.

Maybe you have the wrong fields selected, try this...

Hold Cntrl key down and double click on the field label. Write down the field name.

When you go to the filters section, select dBase expr or SQL query to make sure the field names match.

Good Luck
Dave

Hello Dave

I did not make my question very clear.

What I am trying to achieve is the following

I categorize our customers by using the industry field and I can filter ok with this - I am getting the basics of filtering correct.

I now need to categorize the individual contacts i.e. Joe X is an engineer or in purchasing or a production manager etc so that I can mail the relevent info to the right customer in the right company. I may want to sent new product pricing to all the purchasing people within the machine building customer category.

My reseller suggested using individual codes in the mailmerge field but I cannot achieve a successful filter, I also cannot get a succesful filter on the contacts title - are the contact fields different in some way to the customer fields. I also notice that the e-mailmerge field codes appear a little different.

If everything I want is in 6.5 then please don't hesitate to put me out of my misery.

Hello

You are refering to fields by the label name, not the field name. It makes it harder to help you since I'm not sure what fields you are talking about. ("Industry" only exists on your GM installation, hold Cntrl key down and double click on the field label to get the actual field name)

"are the contact fields different in some way to the customer fields."

Filters query data from contact1 & contact2, Im not sure if you are using mailmerge from contact1 or contsupp. If it is in contsupp, the filter won't pick it up.

It sounds like you are trying to pull data from the contacts tab which is contsupp. If the data is already in there, try looking into Groups. Groups have the ability to query from Cal, contsupp, & Conthist (Pending, Contacts-Details-etc, History)

I dont think 6.5 will solve this one

Good Luck

Dave

I'm not having any success with the Cntrl key but I get the points you are making. I will explore groups.

I am still puzzled though by the fact that I cannot get the following simple filter with the expression

Title Contains "Engineer" to produce a single count and yet I am building the expression from a pick list of expressions and stored titles and I have numerous contacts with engineer in their titles.

You need master rights to do the cntrl key trick.

I can't tell why your not getting results either. Maybe try "Starts with" instead.

If I think of something, I'll post again

Good Luck
Dave

Dave

Thanks for the assistance so far.

Here is the SQL query you want:

Select * From Contact1 Where City Like '<value>%' AND Title Like '<value>%'

<value> would be what you are looking for.

If you are doing something like Where City='<value>' AND Title Like... then you will see that it works for City and not for Title, because of the way GoldMine builds its queries.

If you do Lookup/SQL Queries, though, you should see that this works

The Wizard
Home of Link Magic and Web Magik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back