Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GlobalVillage Modem and PowerMac Quadra 610 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonProchot

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
CA
I have ALMOST managed to set up a refurbished & enhanced PowerMacintosh Quadra610 to connect to the internet via a GlobalVillage 56Kbps Teleport X2 modem. I have been told that the modem should work as a 56Kflex modem - ie it has been upgraded with new firmware. When I open the Global Fax Controls Panel v2.6.8, the control panel window displays "NO MODEM FOUND".

I am trying to use the modem with Apple's OpenTransport PPP v 1.01. As near as I can tell, the OT PPP settings are correct. Modem scripts I have tried are as follows:

Global Village x2
GV 28.8-56KforARA2.1/OT-PPP
GV 28.8-33.6forARA2.1/OT-PPP
GV flex/V.90 ARA 2.1/3.0/OT-PPP
GV flex/V.90 ARA 3.0/OT-PPP
GV V.90 flex Preferred
GV x2 for ARA2.1/OT-PPP
GV x2/V.90 ARA 2.1/3.0/OT-PPP

When I try to connect to the modem via the PPP control panel the Activity Light flickers however no connection is made and PPP gives me a message stating: "The modem file requested 115200 bps which the serial hardware could not supply. Now using 57600 bps.(-6028)" following which I get an error message stating The connection attempt failed. The modem is not responding properly. Reset the modem, check its connections and check that the correct port and modem type are selected in the modem control panel."

The power light is constantly on. The modem's activity light flickers form time to time. The modem's connection light never comes on.

When I try to access the "AT Command Reference" file, I get the message: "The AT Command Reference is not available because you're not using a Global Village Product."

The modem is connected to the modem port. The user manual talks about changing connection scripts and AT commands, but nowhere does it say how one is supposed to do this.

Page 17 of the User's Guide talks about changing connection options, however this assumes that the Teleport Software recognizes the modem, which is not the case.

Where do I go to get this modem to become recognized by Global Village Software? How can I get this modem to work on the Macintosh Quadra610?

Thanks!

There is a article on which discusses using freePPP on older macs rather than otPPP, because it does 115200. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

This sounds like a very usefull resource. Thanks for pointing it out. I don't know yet if it will resolve the problem but it's a good start.

Thanks Jimbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back