Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global Variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGROD

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
US
Lately the projects I've been working on have been going to CD instead of web. As a result, I noticed Flash has some issues. So I started investigating Director. But many of the animation and functions I perform in Flash I have not discovered a way to duplicate in Director.

I use global variables in Flash actionscript and I have read I can use globals in Director's Lingo. But I am not sure where to decare them. In flash it was in the first frame of the main timeline. Director?

Apart from local variables used within a function, all Flash variables are global variables and can be defined anywhere (not only in the main timeline) and accessible from anywhere.

In Director, in addition to local variables and
Code:
global
variables, there are
Code:
property
variables.
Code:
property
's scope is limited to within its script object but can be accessible from anywhere.

Code:
global
variable can be defined absolutely anywhere in the Director movie and once defined, it is available from anywhere, anytime.

To define and access global variables, you need to declare:
Code:
global someVariable
That's it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back