Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

global icon missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawz

Technical User
Dec 24, 2002
GB
We visited friends today to deliver a monitor. We are not stopping I said - fatal.

The network was fine (two Win 98, one XP)but could we have a look at the laptop as that could access the web but not see the other computers.
I hadn't touched the laptop (Win 2000)when we had recently got the network running again after a mysterious crash, so was not aware of this.
I looked at the laptop, eventually found where to go to find the network and aha! I sez, it is because this computer is not in the same workgroup as the others - we need to change its workgroup name. Fine...

I couldn't find where to DO that in 2000 - so this is my first question - where do you go to change it?.

We fiddled and peered and poked about and time was ticking and our dog stuck in the car outside, so then I said (foolishly), ok, we will change the other computers workgroup name to match this one - simple.

I am not that knowledgeable about networks; apart from our own we have set up two others and so I am familiar with only one way to change the group name, so I went for the network wizard and went through that, then put the newly created network setup floppy disk in each machine, ran it and rebooted.

The Win 98 machines ran the rest of the wizard on reboot and then asked for the 98 disk so that certain files could be loaded. I do not understand why it is that there is no browse button when it brings up the window with the path to the disk. Of course it says it can't find that particular file on the CD, even though you are pointing at the CD-ROM drive, and all you can do is skip or cancel, not browse your way to it manually. Anyway, with one Win 98 machine I was able to change the path to system files ( since all the files are there already), and that seemed to work, I did that three times, each requirubg a reboot, and then it would say 'your network was not complete, would you like to continue? yes.. and then finally that machine saw the other computers and shared folders and that was that - but I could not repeat that procedure with the second Win 98 machine, whatever I tried, and I got no helpful messages. Perhaps I should have removed the ethernet card driver and let the machine reinstall it with accompanying protocol and files, perhaps I should have removed and then replaced tcp/ip - to get the machine to ask for the 98 disk I replaced the Client for MS Networks, Netbeui and file and print sharing, but each time the only file I was asked to find was svrapi, whereas the other wanted secur32.dll and another couple which I have now forgotten.
I must have been there nearly three hours, but did not achieve success. You get Network Neighbourhood but no globe icon appears for about 8 minutes,then you get to see the others, but the printer cannot be accessed. Then, if you go back to the globe icon, it has gone again for another five minutes

My second question is, where can I find out all the files required to get the network up that are on the WIN 98SE disk? If I could get them on a floppy I might be able to use that as the path.

The gateway is a speedtouch 500 router and the ISPP is AOL

help GREATLY appreciated

ah, I think maybe the problem is to do with dialup tcp. The 'your network is not complete' messages are to do with dialup I think, and this is a Broadband router setup. Speedtouch 500 and AOL as the ISP. There is a modem installed in the machine but not connected of course, yet I saw Rnaapp in Task Manager when I was trying to fix the problem, and I wondered why it was there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back