Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GLBP only asymmetric downstream ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BicMac080

Technical User
Apr 22, 2005
BE
Hello,

I have 2 routers, each one is connected with a sdsl line to the same ISP, I would like to use glbp to load-balance my traffic between the 2 routers, but as I can see the load-balancing is only possible for the upstream traffic (from lan to wan) but the return traffic (from wan to lan) or downstream traffic can only use one of these 2 sdsl lines.

Does anybody have a way to do the load-balancing for the downstream traffic ?

Many thanks.

Are you hosting services that rely on DNS name resolution or are you hosting services that provide connectivity based strictly on IP Address bypassing DNS?? If DNS, then use the poor man's load balnacer and set up DNS round-robin. You could also look at getting a real load balancer from F5 or the like, but you're going to be spending quite a bit of money on that.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Hello Unclerico,

My config is only based on IP addresses, no DNS is used.

Thanks for your answer.

Hello
You can use 2 HSRP groups and configure half of your clients,to use one of the gateways and the others to use the next.
Regards

Not sure if you can unless there is loadbalancing from the WAN to the LAN. In otherwords you have no control over how the traffic returns from the cloud. You'd need to implement QOS in the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back