Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glass Table reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno2k

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2001
US
I've looked HIGH and low for tutorials on how to acheive a glass table reflection effect in PS7. I can certainly do it easily enough with "flat-bottomed" objects, like text -- simply dupe layer, flip vertically, change opacity to ~40%, gradient selection, etc. etc.

But I want to be able to do it with irregularly shaped objects, like the iPod in this picture:

A simple flip doesn't work here!

Anyone have any tips on how to do this?
Thanks!

HI,

My approach to this would be to seperate each part of that ipod (ipod, and each ear piece) then do the flip technique starting with the object furthest away (the ipod)then layer each other in the correct spot and merge those layers back together and erase any parts that are in the way of the original image, then do a layer mask and reduce the opacity. This is just the quick and dirty way though. Most likely that has been 3d modeled so that there is a section of the bottom of the earpiece that has been created and then properly reflected. The reflection of that earpiece shows the under side of it and not just a duplicate. Reflection in photoshop only really work if the shot is straight on and the object is square and not a dome shape where curving can occur to accomodate more of the hiddne part of the image.

But try that method out and see if that works.

Hope this helps!

relax.gif

General Exception Error:

"Unknown has caused an unknown error in unknown, unknown will now unknown."

Hi Spyder,

I was able to separate the earbuds and flip them separately on their own layers, then do the iPod itself, and it came out -- not like the original -- but passable! I skewed the buds' reflections up on the ends to meet their fully visible counterparts.

But I had forgotten about the 3D modeling. Yah, the reflections often show data that isn't THERE in the main image... can't just make that up! I'll have to do something up in SolidWorks/PhotoWorks for the true effect...

Thanks.

Hi! Hello!

First select each objects and put them in seperate layers.
To create reflections, what I usually do ...
1. I work on a transparent background.
2. You must think as artist drawing an object, and think
of the possible reflection to be generated.to create a
fake reflection.
>because it is not a 3d picture, therefore we do not see
what's behind the objects.

3. a) the picture at the upper right corner is easy.
1)isolate that mobile item into a diferent layer.
2)Using the magicwand (better if path is created),
select the white area and delete or cut the pixels.
3)select the layer ( menu bar> selection> load select'n
>press enter)
4)broken lines appear running, now press m <for marque>
5)right clilck on image choose feather then type
desired number of pixels, press enter.
6)copy then paste on a new layer.
7)Go to Edit> Transform> flip vertical.
8) Change layer properties at the layer box:
From Normal to Multiply or Overlay.
9) resize through transform <Crtl T>.
*Hold on tho the ctrl key while manipulating to the desired form.

4. After that, probably you now have the idea how to do with the rest. To fake out what's behind the laptop// guess it's appearance at the back...

I'm working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back