Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Giving an asp.net application write access to a folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeymagic2222

Technical User
May 13, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have recently created several web applications that require write access to folders on the web server (e.g. one program creates pdf's from user entered data, the other creates log files). These both work well on my development machine but as soon as I publish to our web server (Windows 2003 IIS 6) we hit permissions issues.

What is the best practice for giving web applications write access to folders. I have read conflicting advice from forums that say to give the Network Service account write access to the required folders but I am worried if this has any security implications. The other alternative I have looked at is getting my system admin to create a user in Active Directory that only has write access to specific folders then impersonating that user in the webpage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, I'd run the website with the identity of the windows user set in the web.config file:

<identity impersonate="true|false" username="username" password="password"/>

You can then just use Windows Authentication to control which folders can be written to.

Mark,

Website Design Darlington
Experts, Information, Ideas & Knowledge
ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back