Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Give a user with a limited account permission to install programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Is there a way to let a limited user install programs? Giving them admin access is not an option

You could elevate them to Power Users. Most (but not all) programs can be installed.

Use XP's Help & Support to look for 'Power User'

Right click on "My Computer", select "Manage". Open "Local Users and Groups", open "Users". Right click on the "user" you want to modify, select properties. click on the "Member of" tab, click "Add", in XP select "Locate", double click "Power User". Click Ok (twice).

Done

Even thought braddds has given you the steps to elevate a regular user to a power user, you should still read through the info in Help & Support, because power users may be able to do some things you might not want them to do. You should fully realize the ramifications of making this change.

This works, however the programs that can be installed are very limited, even as a backup operator you can still not install must programs with the account (things like encarta). Is there no other way to let them install programs? Even a 3rd party program would do if there was no other way within windows itself.

I have tried enabeling the following settings in gpedit.msc/local copmuter policy/computer configuration/administrative templates/windows components/windows installer:
Always install with elivated privilages
Enable user control over installs
Enable user to use media source while elivated

This still did not enable the limited user to install programs.

I belive it may be possible to make it so the limited user can install programs but not take ownership of files + change file permissions + change my admin account to a limited user.
To do this i would have to deny myself access to the file that gpedit.msc edits using ntfs security settings. (I am not sure what this file is though). Then i would change the limited user to an admin account and use gpedit.msc to apply restrictions (i am not sure which restrictions i would have to apply).
The restrictions would not apply to me because i could not read the file that gpedit.msc edits. I would then deny access for the other user to gpedit.msc itself so the other user cannot undo the restrictions.

However to do this i need to know what file gpedit.msc edits and what restrictions i would have to apply to stop anyone taking ownership of files + changing file permissions + chaning my admin account to a limited user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back