Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Give 1811 wan interface multiple mac addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

LingaringBell

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2009
US
I have a cisco 1811 connected to a wideband modem. I purchased a block of public IP addresses from for some web servers on site. So I go to set it up using reverse nat like I normally would and nothing works. Turns out that on the ISPs side everything is operating at Layer 2, so the public IP addresses have to be associated with a MAC address. My solution for this is to assign multiple IP addresses to the WAN port on the 1811, but I can't find a way to do it. Is it possible? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
-Bell

Oops, I realized I had a typo here. What I should say is, I want to assign multiple MAC addresses to the WAN port (or a VLAN interface).

You could create a series of subinterfaces, giving each an IP and hard-coded mac address. I believe subint config command "mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaaa" should work for that.

CCNP, CCDP

It doesn't look to me like you can give a subinterface a mac address, the "mac-address" command is not listed as a possible command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back