Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gigabyte K8NS-PRO won't start up just happened? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hello,anyone have any Idea? bad motherboard? worked fine yesterday,now it won't even start up at all.It's a Gigabyte K8NS-PRO Socket 754 motherboard,was running fine.now nothing no start up,tried different power power supply,tried different ram,1 stick,2 sticks,different video card,reset bios with jumper,turn on power supply all fans turn for like a half a second,push power button,nothing.Tried un-pluging power switch and jumping the 2 pins to start motherboard,nothing?? Capacitors all look good?? Am I out of luck here? Any thing else I can try? Dead Motherboard at this point?Thankyou for any input on this.

You did everything I would do normally. Sounds dead to me.

Unless you want to take it out of the case and run it only with CPU, RAM, Video card and power supply. Put it on a wood, linoleum or tile floor. That would eliminate the last thing that comes to mind - a short somewhere between mobo and case.

ok,looks like it's dead.Next question? This was a socket 754 motherboard Gigabyte GA-K8NS-PRO board,If I change the motherboard to a Asus A8V-X Socket 939 with a different cpu etc.....I know this is a tough question.....But Will this still boot into windows XP with a different motherboard?? Maybe in safe mode to start with? or do I need a whole new install of windows xp?

I have to have the same motherboard Gigabyte K8NS-PRO Socket 754 in order for it to boot back up in windows?

Thanks for all the info guy's.Just trying to find the best way around this,not to loose the stuff on the c drive.

Most likely - not as it is. You'd need to modify the registry for the drivers loading or you'll get a blue screen. If you have an IDE hard drive and modify the registry, you can likely get it to boot up.

Go down to BadBigBen's comment in this thread for more info.

It will likely require Windows to be re-activated though because of differing hardware.

Are you trying to save the DATA (files) on the drive or all the programs AND the data? If you're just worried about the data, then replacing the motherboard is not the way to go.

Specify which goal you're after.

I guess I just wanted to change the motherboard and boot back up again.Guess I can only do this if I replace the motherboard with the same make and model motherboard.Tough luck for me,trying to find a gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO AGP Motherboard (lol):).A needle in a haystack.Thanks for all the help.

Actually, if you go with a motherboard with the same CHIPSET, regardless of the make/model, you may come out okay. It just depends. A couple months ago, I had a fairly important to me personally system fail. Well, I had just begun backing up all the data off it (and it's RAID array), and it failed in the middle. Thankfully, I had another motherboard there, and thought - why not give it a shot. At this point, I wasn't going to lose much else. So, I plugged up all the hard drives to the "new" motherboard, wires and hard drives dangling everywhere... and at first no go - I needed a stronger power supply than what I had in that case... so then I dangle a different power supply as well.

Well, once power running right, I booted it up, no issues whatsoever... and this gave me the chance to back up all the data off my RAID array. [smile] I was so happy.

Still haven't decided how to rebuild/replace that one. Been busy on other folks stuff for so long, that I've almost forgotten about it. But it's still there... in the back of my mind... do I bother with new hardware, spending money? Do I chance old hardware lying around, and see what I get, and see how long it lasts? Do I try Linux again? Do I do only Windows again? Do I do both? Do I create my own OS? No, wait, the last one wasn't a REAL thought.

Regardless, this is just to say it IS possible, maybe.. just depends. If it's a fairly common chipset on your dead mobo, then you've got a better chance. In my case, both mobos were cheapies, and the chipset fairly common.

I'd try finding what the chipset is, then searching for mobos with that chipset, and give it a shot. After all, you gotta replace the board anyway, unless you're going to go with a whole new system.

Personally, I still don't normally suggest going to a new mobo without a reinstall unless absolutely necessary. I personally only did this b/c I wanted as few hiccups as possible in recovery/back-up of my data.

Happy hunting! [thumbsup2]

Ebay is your friend here (sometimes). Also, matching the chipset would likely work, but I'm not sure it's worth all the hassle to buy a USED motherboard to revive your particular installation of windows.

Again - you didn't specify if it was the applications you were trying to save vs. just the data on the hard drive.

Number 1 requires a motherboard that is bootable/compatible with the drivers on the existing hard drive while number 2 does not.

thankyou,snagged one cheap.It's mostly the applications I wanted to save,data I could have just used the drive as a D: drive,and copied over the file's like music,and video files etc.Thankyou guys for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back