Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gigabit on a 2620 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

heminez

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
I have two Cisco 2620 routers seperating 3 subnets on my campus. I have a gigabit backbone everywhere except for the bottleneck going through the 100BaseT NIC's in the routers.
Does anyone know if they make a gigabit module for these routers. If not (as I suspect) can anyone tell me the most basic Cisco router that will handle gigabit ethernet? Don't need anything fancy just two ethernet interfaces. Only function is to seperate networks and provide DHCP to the subnets.

Well, first of all...Price! I don't see the point in replacing a perfactly good switch just to get a router. Secondly, ( and you will have to forgive my ignorance) Can a single router have multiple ethernet interfaces and handle all the routing in a single box? And can you tell me what model that would be? Sorry to be so stupid but Cisco's web site does everything except tell you what a product does and how it does it, in a language that is understandable.

You could get a 2811, but I highly recommend you terminate your switches to a layer 3 switch and route there. Using a router to route vlans is just stupid.

Well, about some things I am stupid. That's why I'm here...
It's not just routing between VLANS but subnet's with different IP spaces. I have a DEll 6248 switch which is a Layer 3 switch but Dell's documentation is so poor I have no idea how to do this...If it can even be done.

Well a cisco 3560 will route between vlans and subnets. I can't offer any help with the dell as I am a cisco engineer.

Don't Dells have GUIs? Ha ha. Couldn't resist. Ju-u-u-u-u-st kidding.

Burt

Hello
Your best bet is to find a manual for the DEll 6248 switch layer 3 configuration.All other solutions will be costly.
Regards
Ps.These layer 3 switches are Router's!!!They do everything RIP,OSPF,ISIS,BGP.It's really an awesome concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back