Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gigabit between floors 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
I need to know which Layer3 Gigabit 24 port switch to get and also any modules to provide gigabit speed between floors in a building. I was planning to run fiber between floors. Which mode is best -- SM or MM fiber? Also some switches have SFP and some have GBIC. Is SFP just a slot to put GBIC into?

Please let me know your suggestions.

Nortel 5510, :)

You want to use MM fiber with SX gbic..

SFP means small form pluggable I believe , which is a very small gbic which allows the vendor to get much higher port densities in the same given space . I would check out the 3550 . Whether to use single or multimode depends on your cable distances , if just going between floors then multimode will suffice on a SX gbic like the previous poster indicated.

If you want 24 Gigabit ports, then I suggest 3750 series if your budget allows.
If you want 24-port switch with gigabit uplinks, 3550 is sufficient.

Thank you for your comments. Interesting note about the Nortel 5510 (esp in a Cisco forum). The 5510 is considerably less than the Cisco.

If you are going greater than 2 floors, I recommend fibre for the distance benefits, and protection from ground voltage differential that can be dangerous with ungrounded cable. Otherwise you have to deal with grounding shielded cable.

What does SX mean? When I order the fiber to run between these two gbics, what connector goes on each end of the fiber -- LC-LC, LC-SC, SC-SC? i know it's not ST.

Thanks.

OK - the most used access switches that provide inline power to the desktop is C3550 - these switches do not use SPF. The GBIC is used to connect gigbit over cat 5. If you are using fibre on these access switches then you just need Cisco DWDM GBICs which connect to Dual SC connector (fibre terminations).

The newer breed of switch (Cisco C3560) uses SFP which is slightly different. Instead of connecting to SC terminations it connects to LC terminations. In this case you would use the SFP module to connect to the LC fibre termination.

I would ask the person running the fibre what termination they prefer i.e. LC or SC - what ever they prefer spec accordingly ;)

Also I am assuming you are talking access switches and not distribution or core switches here as you are running between floors. If you are not talking access switches then maybe one of the 3750 switches is what you want.

Hope this helps you!!!

I work for IDL ( and my website is ;)

If you're going to be running fiber between floors then you might as well run some extra strands while you're at it. And if that's the case, you might as well install a fiber patch panel, which means you very likely could end up with some ST connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back