Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GIG Sniffer on portable device (laptop if possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.

l1carter

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
US
Hi all,

does anyone know where to find a GIG PCMCIA card? I need to have the ability to sniff a fiber gig link. I was hoping to get some form of a PCMCIA card that would support gig speeds and possibly a cable converter/transiever to convert fiber to copper IF necessary. Any other suggestions are welcome too. I have priced out the distributed sniffer with the gig solution but we are looking at over 30k so I need another alternitive.

Thanks

Don't know if they excist, but if you won't to use it in combination with NAI Sniffer, forget it, this will not work. Sniffer wil probably not recognize the card and if it does, the possibility is there taht it will see it as a 100Mb card.
regards,
robert

you might consider looking at a FlukeNetworks WGA or INA. they can capture at Gig and will capture in a format that can be used in sniffer, ethereal, or hteir own protocol expert.

Even if you can find a PCMCIA card that would work you'd have very limited capture capabilities. A $30 K Gig Sniffer is comprised of the software, a $3,500K hardware plaform (their hardware only price) and a very expensive Xyratex NIC. The NIC itself does the capture and hands it off to the analyzer. The far cheaper Sysconnect card that is also included on current models will do a fine job for monitoring but has limited capture capabilities. I presume that you'd encounter the same challenges if a PCMCIA card could be located.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back