Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gig PCI card performance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortunat

Technical User
Jan 9, 2001
CA
Just finished a bit of a write up with work that I just completed.
We keep getting feedback from various customers who wonder why they can't use their laptop/desktop with a 1 Gb card and their favorite analyzer.
So we threw a quick test together comparing Ethereal, Fluke Networks Protocol Expert and Network General's Sniffer with a pretty beefy PC.
This ain't no Tolly report, but drives the point home. ;-) If the feedback is positive I was also considering adding a laptop and some of the hardware based protocol analyzers.

Check it out an let me know what you think.

'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

Tony, you rock!

Mike

Nice to be noticed.. You're welcome Mike...
[afro2]

Makes using a hardware based analyzer not look like such a bad thing.

Did you guys monitor the CPU utilization during the test? I am curious as to what was the limiting factor.

Mike

We started to gather that info, but found that it took us off the original goal. We also added a laptop with a gig interface... Those may be added to additional studies when I get a few minutes ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back