Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gift ideas for geeks??? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
...or a geek's wife??? I always buy geeky stuff for my sis too, but I find myself faced with the dilemma of outdoing myself from one year to the next (I quit doing the jewelry thing years ago LOL). I hit on a good one last year with the N-Charge laptop charger for my sister, she ALWAYS uses it, gets 6 hours out of a single charge.

I found a good one for my wife this year, a touch typist who cut her teeth on the IBM Selectric, a keyboard with IBM's Buckling Spring technology at
I have also gifted backup drives, external DVD drives, thumb drives, mini-mouse etc. What other gifts can anyone recommend??? I guess I can always get a cake-box of CDs or DVDs...

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

How about the Zyxel wifi USB key that doubles as a hotspot finder in its own right - saves booting up just to fins out there isn't a hotspot?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

stduc,

That's a winner...she travels a lot, and who couldn't use more storage? Keep 'em coming...

Tony

stduc,

Can you post a link to that gadget? The ones I am finding are all WiFi adapters, not storage keys. Her laptop has built-in wireless. Thanks!

Tony

It is a wifi adapter - not storage sorry.

However - your misunderstanding leads to an idea for a great gadget LOL

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Like the mouse with 1gb of flash built in, love mine....

Sat Nav was my wifes life saver, she wouldn't be without it.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Greg,

ThinkGeek has mostly gewgaws that will be played with briefly then forgot. I'm looking for a long-term winner, like my wife's Clie (2002) MP3 player (1999, at that time she called it "that thing", a 64MB RIO for $200), a KVM to use just one setup between her 2 PCs at home (2006) or sister's N-charge (2006) or backup drive (2005).

Both are avid readers, the Sony eBook has my attention but I'm not sure all the titles will be available, and $300 is a lot to spend on a maybe.

I just hoped someone would post an idea and make life simpler for me [smile]

Tony

Greg,

All you need to do is open this post on your wife's PC, and leave it there...although when I had to have a $300 Sony DVD burner a few years ago, leaving an open magazine with it circled on the breakfast table did not work for me [smile]

I did buy, so for:
Buckling spring PC keyboard
WiFi detector, keychain model
2GB Flash stick
Cakebox of 100 DVD's & CD's

I will keep looking for ideas...[ponder]

Tony

If you never want to see them again (in person, you can catch them on the server any time), World of Warcraft.

If they are a gamer or power user who loves macros, the Logitech G11/G15 keyboards are pretty cool.

I recently purchased a beautiful Samsung 22" monitor, thinking of grabbing a 2nd for a massive amount of desktop space.

Exotic versions of his or her favorite caffeinated beverage. I'm a coffee fan myself, and I don't know a single geek who doesn't like caffeine in some form or another, be it gum, energy drink, freebasing, etc.

^^ Same thing for alcohol. The micro, Belgian, and various other imported brew business is exploding in my area lately, so there is a huge variety of interesting beers to sample, wine prices are down as well making some exquisite vintages available at reasonable rates.

Nintendo Wii... if you can find one...

If they like to read, audio books, or an audible.com subscription, that way they can listen to their favorite audio books without having to get off tek-tips, or in their terrible commute... cough.

A totally non-geek related class... yoga, martial arts, pottery, time away from the glowing screen is always a good thing. If they are a broke geek, Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University or a similar money management course could be life changing.

...and remember, geeks need lovin' to, a weekend stay at a 5 star with a spa (and free WiFi) should be well received!

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone, my Xmas shopping is complete with a couple of laser-firing mini-helicopters that shoot each other down. To all of you, the one gift you can't buy...a star!!!

Happy Holidays
Merry Christmas
Happy Whatever Else!!!

Tony

My favorite geek gift from last year was the mug warmer with 4 USB ports that hubby got for me. Have all the hot tea or cocoa that you want and never leave your desk, and everyone can always use more USB ports :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back