Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gift Certificate Numbering and/or alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFChristie

Programmer
Oct 25, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to get Publisher 2002 to auto number gift certificates? I tried mail merge, but the stupid thing won't change the number on teh three it prints on the first. It insists on printing the same number on each certificate on a page.

In addition to that, if you start numbering from 1, it won't allow you to format it with leading zeroes - at least, not like you do in Word.

Better yet, since automating this is going to be a major pain in the you-know-what, does anyone know how to get a Gift Certificate to print at the top of the page, rather than in the middle?

Thanks
PS: Sorry if I sound b-chy. I've bee trying to get this to work for a total of about 10 hours now over the last couple of days. It was only supposed to take an hour. Arg!

Hi,

I haven't used Pub 2002 for a while, but I have done merges in word 2002, though the 2 are different....

from memory, and I have done a fair bit of publisher, if you have set up your data source with the no's you want (making sure the numbers are formatted as text if using excel) there should not be a problem. Is that how you did it?

Re the question re positioning of the gift certificate, when you print, there are print options for selecting the number of certificates per page. That is, if you have set it up as a special size page. If you are just using a text box on a normal sized page, you wont have the option of printing multiple copies on one page. If you have set it up as special size, then when you go to "Print" there is something there about "page set-up options" or something.
m

Thanks. I was formatting as numeric, not text. I'll try and test using "TEXT" format.

As for the printing, specifying 1 per page doesn't help - drat it. For whatever reason, MS decided to have everything that prints center. in an 8 1/2 page. The one I created was 8.5 x 3.67 (Page Setup), 1 per page. I was hoping it would print at the top. That way, I could print, cut, renumber, and print the next one. Didn't work.

And, if I select multiple copies - in this case, 3/page, I get three with the same number.

Thanks again. I ended up having to tell publisher I was creating an envelope. That convinced it to not center everything.

Have a great holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back