Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gifs won't show!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigella

Programmer
May 9, 2002
GB
Having uploaded all my jpg images successfully I still can't seem to publish my gifs. They mostly seem to be uploaded by the ftp server okay but when I try to view the page I just get a blank box with a cross. I've checked the file names to make sure there are no spaces ect. I've also checked the pages to make sure that the file names that have been modified agree with what is contained in my gifs folder.

I tried converting the images to jpg to see if that would help but all I got was a message to say that the file would become unstable if I changed it.

When I view the gif properties in the browser it does give the gif symbol and the correct name but next to Type: - is written 'unavailable/not available', this also is likewise for Date Created: and Date Modified:

I understand from another post that there are different sorts of gif images and I might need to modify them in Photoshop 6, however I don't really understand what I have to do - can some one please explain this to me or suggest anything else?

check the extensions on the pic files and make sure they are correct

If you are on unix server, you have to have the Capital letters exact. For example, "/Images/My.gif" will not be found if the folder is in fact "/images/my.gif".

Depending on how my levels deep your folders are, you may need to change the path name, for example "../../Images/My.gif"

You might try a new page at the root level and a gif at the root level. Just drag the file into the new page and see if it is recognized.

Following up on the format of the gif file, you might try creating different gif formats from Photoshop or whatever other graphics programs are available to see if any of them work for you.

Paul Orlowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back