Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghosting XP to multiple systems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

funstur

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
GB
Is there a way of editing the registry after ghosting a system to reslove the issues with licensing, rather than using an Open license. I have been give 40 wkst with separted license keys bohoo ............ doh!!!

Yes you can use a tool from microsoft called Sysprep.

Actually you really NEED to do this as if you don't every machine will have the same SID and this can cause a lot of problems.

Runing sysprep before ghosting the machine will change the SID and it will also prompt you for a license.

Download for Sysprep Windows XP SP2

[LN];838080
information about the sysprep tool. Copy and paste link.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Having corp licenses will not sort the problem with the SID conflict if he has ghosted the systems.

If these systems aren't on the same network you should be ok. But if they are you will get all sorts of problems.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Google magic jellybean it will let you change the serial ID after ghosting. Now if thay are going to be on a domain you will have SID problems. You should be able to use sysprep it that case. Note for XP SP2 you need to use the new sysprep for XP SP2.

funstur,

There is no way (that I know of) to edit the registry (after cloning with Ghost) in order to resolve licensing issues.

There is no such thing (that I know of) as an 'Open' licence (nor 'Corporate' licence).

If you are having a problem with Windows XP licensing following a re-image/cloning operation (with Ghost) then I suspect you may not be using a VL (Volume Licensing) version of Windows XP.

SID duplication is a completely different matter and isn't an issue in a 'Workgroup' environment (but IS an issue in a 'Domain' environment).

If you ARE in a 'Domain' environment then Google for 'Change SID' or have a look at something like for a freeware utility that may help you after cloning (and after getting the VL licensing issue sorted).

You don't HAVE to use Sysprep... but you do need to individualize PC's after cloning with Ghost.

Hope this helps...

Actually, we use the "open license" for xp. The program is available thru your microsoft reseller. You purchase a number of licenses (min of 5), they email you a link, and you can register and track on site as an admin, rather than from the individual pc. You order the media separately for a nominal fee (I usually get one cd for each bunch of licenses). It costs more than buying individual copies, but for managing workstations there is nothing like it. It allows you to move programs around to different PC's without having to re-register, so you can swap out pc's if there are problems or you're upgrading hardware, etc. Here is a link to find out more:

ltromans,

Thanks for the info. Our reseller doesn't list an 'Open' version... only the VL version.

I have created over 100 images for production use on corporate networks.

I rarely have problems with sysprep and advise you use it as its a great tool if you spend a little time playing with it. You can enter licences manually into your answer file per machine and specify the machine name. This should get around you problem. SP2 did make some fundamental changes like writing to the default user profile gets overwritten. spend some time investigating it or send me an email and i will give you some sysprep answer files and advice.

Can someone please clarify something.

We have started using ghost... used year ago.... now we have come back to using it again.

I believe that if I ghost all workstations and then run ghostwalker after this.... change the SID at this point is enough to avoid probs with sids and identical pc's.

licensing isnt an issue for me ...

im not sure if the best time to do this is off the domain.... and then after ghosting add to the domain (i dont fancy this... :) )

is ghostwalker NOT enuff?????

IF SO, can i do all this with a ghost image that is already added to the domain?

Thanks in Advance peeps

There's no such thing as corporate license"

There is.
Officialy it's called volume licensing.

This whole issue regarding SID's is interesting. At my previous company, we used Ghost to deploy images but never used anything to change the SIDs. All computers were on the same domain and we never experienced any problems.

What type of problems should occur? I'm very interested to find out.

Can someone please answer my last post..

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

roytheboy (Programmer) 8 Sep 05 5:10
Can someone please clarify something.

We have started using ghost... used year ago.... now we have come back to using it again.

I believe that if I ghost all workstations and then run ghostwalker after this.... change the SID at this point is enough to avoid probs with sids and identical pc's.

licensing isnt an issue for me ...

im not sure if the best time to do this is off the domain.... and then after ghosting add to the domain (i dont fancy this... :) )

is ghostwalker NOT enuff?????

IF SO, can i do all this with a ghost image that is already added to the domain?

Thanks in Advance peeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back