Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghosting Raid 5 on a Dell PowerEdge 2300

Status
Not open for further replies.

uhoti

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have been using Ghost 2002 to try and get it to ghost my raid 5 (3 x 18Gig SCSI which has hardware based raid 5) SCSI drives to my IDE drives (via a PCI IDE controller). I know its possible since I have read threads of IBM raid 5 servers ghosting succesfully. I run ghost with the -ir -fnf options . When using PC-dos (partition to partition), It found my SCSI harddrive to be only of 8 gig size and when clicked on it to see partitions it gave a " Norton Ghost Error : read sector failure, result =1 drive = 128" (Application error 29004). When I look at the IDE drive it showed the correct size and the correct partitions. When rebooted and ran MS-Dos with the same above options, it still showed the 18 gig as an 8 gig. Did not give an error when clicked on to see the partitions. Instead it showed only one partition. When clicked on the 40 gig it showed no partition's either. What gives? There were 3 partitions on the SCSI and 3 on the IDE. Is there anything wrong going on? If there is a fix to the problem I would greatly appreciate somebody specifying it. If not, does anybody know how to go about ghosting raid 5 on the dell PowerEdge servers. Thanks in advance.

-assad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back