Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghosting & Migrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyshriver

Technical User
Dec 25, 2004
US
I hope I am not duplicating earlier threads, but I've not been able to find any that discuss needs exactly like mine.
My company is performing a workstation "merge-and-purge" in which brand-new machines are added to the mix, recently acquired machines are left as is, older but still serviceable machines are upgraded, and the oldest machines are scrapped. The majority of existing machines will be shuffled about the company dependent on whose network and computing needs outstrip his/her current machine's capabilities.
Now that I have explained the scenario, the issue is that some machines will need to be set up with new desktop images (there are two - one for users on the local LAN and one for users connecting remotely via Citrix) - that explains the "Ghosting" aspect.
The "Migrating" aspect, though that might be misuse of the term, is that some users will need their local data and installed programs moved to a different machine that has different hardware, chipsets, etc., and, in some cases, different OS's (in those cases, moving from Win2Kpro machines to brand-proSP2 boxes).
The bottom line is that some machines will be simply importing existing programs and user data, while others are being re-imaged. Will Norton Ghost perform all of these functions, or do I need to consider other additional/other options?
I thank you all in advance.
Cheers, Andy

If you restore an image using Ghost onto a different platform, Windows will barf itself when it starts; it is set up for the wrong hardware. It *can* be done, but you will need to have a windows boot CD handy, and do a repair after the image is loaded.

However, there is a utility built right into XP, called the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" which I have used with much success in the past. I suggest you look at that instead.

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

Thanks, gbaughma - I will use the XP utility on all machines requiring such transfers from Win2K boxes. If I am transferring images from one Win2Kpro machine to another, even if the hardware is different (different RAM, BIOS, chipsets, VGA cards, etc.) will Ghost play nice?

No... that's what I'm saying.

When you ghost a drive from one machine, and restore it to a different machine, XP will crap itself. Just the same as if you pulled the hard drive out of the old machine, and slapped it into a new, different machine.

XP will attempt to load drivers for the old hardware; everything; chipset, video, USB, PCI Bridge, everything, and BSOD within seconds. The only way to do this with Ghost, is to restore it to the new machine, then reboot from an XP boot CD, and do a recovery (the second R, not the first one that takes you into the recovery console).

However, you will still need to install the manufacturer drivers and so forth; and all the "crap" on the old computer (invalid registry entries, spyware, etc) will be transferred over as well in the ghosting process.

Really better to leave the new computer set up with all its drivers and so forth, and migrate just the data they need over, using the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

A USB Key loaded with the .exe's for all the apps you will be installing on the new clients will be very valuable for this procedure. 2Gb drives are $30-50.

Tony

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I was talking about ghosting settings on one Win2kPro machine and trnasferring them to another Win2kPro machine.

Many thanks.

Andyshriver, this may help you ou for the W2K to W2K migration on the hardware front
Basically, if you follow the instructions there to rip out the hardware enumeration keys, then image the workstation, then restore said image to a different hardware platform (but keep the OS as W2K!) Windows will re-detect all the hardware from scratch.

Hey, i also just thought, you could probably pull a similar trick and then run an upgrade to XP...but i never did like an upgraded OS..give me a clean install everytime!

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

Oh, also, if this is a large project and you have VERY deep pockets, take a look at Acronis True Image with Universal Restore. Worked like a champ for me when I bought a new exchange server and imaged the old one to the new hardware platform....

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back