Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GHOST NT4.0 SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidon15

MIS
Sep 20, 2003
US
HI there,
Have anyone done or used the ghosting software 7.0 to ghost two physical disk drives? I have one server and it is in a bad safe. I would like to ghost this server for the backup. This server has configured in RAID Array for 2 system drives (one is raid1 (two drives)and one is raid5 (4drives)) and in the windows there are showing two physical drive C:\ system drive and E:\ data drive. IS there a way that i can ghost both drives at a same time, so when i restore i just configure a RAid array a same and restore the image, and will be recognized in OS.

IF not...
Do i really need to make another image for E: drive? I don't think that i should need to. Cuase this is just a data drive, right?

when i resore the image, shoud i need to restore in image on each drive c: and E:\.
I really need your advice...
Thank you much in advanced.

How is your RAID Setup? Is it software based or hardware based?

Thanks for responding guys. My raid setting is 2 disks with raid 1 for system file, and 4 disks for raid5 for data file. All i want to ghost is the system file cause the application i paint in nut to load.
Do you have any other alternative way to ghost or any product can do this as far as the RAID configuration.
Thank you very much!

sure.. what's wrong with a normal backup to a tape? We are all doing this. You just want to be fancy with ghost eee? :)

The later versions of Ghost can do either Partition or Disk ghosting. A disk ghost will copy everything from the disks that ghost sees.

As mentioned, you cannot ghost at all if the RAID 5 has been in software. If it's hardware RAID, *and* the RAID controller has a BIOS extension (ie, you have drive letters to your partitions if you booted into DOS), then Ghost will be able to copy it just fine. I've done that myself with a RAID 5 over 4 SCSI disks to a single IDE disk.

And ssphoenix, tape drives haven't been able to keep up with the explosion in drive storage. a RAID 5 array of 4 disks may be over 500 gigabytes. I challenge you to find me a tape backup solution for a reasonable price for that one :)

The other drawback of tape backups is that they're only really good for data backups. If a server got fried (in a fire for example), the steps would be to install the OS from scratch onto the new server, then the tape backup software, then restore the data files from the tape, then install all the apps again (because you can't restore the apps from tape into a new OS). Or am I out of touch with the latest tape solutions out there?

Guys...what are the qualifications needed to know if I can use Norton Ghost 9 to image the hard drive of my WIN NT 4.0 server, (Sp6). I know I can run it on workstations all day long, but am getting an error when using it on my WIN NT server? Do I have to use Symantecs-2003 ghost instead??? Thanks for your time.
-JT

If you are running RAID on a RAID Card, you will probably need to make sure your ghost boot disk has the RAID card drivers loading. You should then be able to ghost a logical drive.

I have used ghost 7 and above in this manner, and have even seen Server 2003 ghosted, with fancy batch files for when the image boots up to install hardware specific drivers. Not actually done the latter myself though!

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy (Monty Python's The Life of Brian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back