Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost image a Call Pilot 201i

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
I've got a CP 201i that I'd like to image if possible. Has anyone done this before? Any gotchas?

if it is release 4.0 or higher is cut and dry it will run
itself

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

strmwalker - Thanks for the info. Our CP is 4.4.4.32, so I'm guessing that we'll be OK.

What do you know about the hard drives for these things? I had a vendor (purchaser) tell me that we just can't use anything off-the-shelf. It has to be a "Nortel spec" drive becuase these things run an old version of SCSI. However, I read a post from last year where someone replaced a drive with an off-the-shelf drive. Any truth to needing older drives?

Also - are there idiot notes out there with pretty pictures that show how to remove and replace the drive? (I have to rely on site-contacts to do the work because I'm 800 miles away - I have to be specific).

i don't know about the drives because i get all the ones
have from a nortel part vendor.the picture you are asking
about are on the nortel callpilot cd's.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

The Maxtor drives are EOL. The Seagate Baracuda 60gb to 180gb drives are the next most compliant. They have a long life and low noise rating which is what Nortel requires for Call Pilot.

Wear a static strap when handling the Call Pilot 201i!!!

There are 5 screws to change out the drive. 2 on the bottom of the board, 1 one the bottom rack, and 2 one the right side. The power and IDE ribbon cables are short, so be careful when removing and replacing.
Verify the SCSI cable Ground Strap to the face connector is connected to the system frame. That ground is important!

Wear a static strap when handling the Call Pilot 201i !!!

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Wear a static strap when handling the Call Pilot 201i !!!"

Everyone: Listen to The Doctor. Here's a man who's seen static discharge FUBAR hours of hard work!

So DocVic - question: I take it by your remarks, that replacing one of these drives is not for an amateur, is it? I have a site contact who is quasi-IT (has other functions). He's eager, but not the most knowledgeable. I'd have to walk him through it over the phone, and I've never done it myself so I don't know what I'm looking for.

Does it make more sense to leave this job to a vendor, or am I being over-cautious?

If you trust the tech to change out hard drives in PC's, he can do this. It's the Image Restore that takes time, and he needs to be patient while doing this. When that's done, he needs to re-configure the system with keycodes, and features, one by one. As long as you can work with him, and you have done this yourself, he can do it. Send him detailed instructions, and you'll both done fine. If you have a current backup, it's all good.
Yup, we've seen static! We just turned on our humidifiers, since seeing Elvis when touching light switches. Shocking...

DocVic
Need help? Call Me Now!

...keycodes, and features, one by one. As long as you can work with him, and you have done this yourself, he can do it."

Well - that's the wrinkle that I was afraid of.
*I have a license key code, is that the only one I need?
*I have never done this. Where can I see my full list of features?

I might just leave this to a vendor. I'm not going to talk someone through this over the phone if I haven't done this myself.

As long as you have the keycodes, you're good. The features will come up during the (after the image is restored and the system is rebooted) Configuration Wizard setup. You'll need to know what the current SDN to Call Pilot is, (ACD DN that has VMB=yes), the TN's with ACD Agent DN's, and the Americas Language CD. There are "Re-install" docs on the Call Pilot CD and you can get info from the Nortel web site. If you're not comfortable doing this, then call your local vendor and get an estimate on doing this. It should take no more than 4 to 6 hours total. (We can re-image and be ready to restore the backup in 90 minutes, but we've been doing this for a couple of days).

DocVic
Need help? Call Me Now!

DocVic - A few questions for you:

a) "There are 'Re-install' docs on the Call Pilot CD and you can get info from the Nortel web site." - 'Cuz I'm lazy and don't want to download each of these and check, do you know Which doc contains the re-install info? Is it:
* Server Maint. & Diagnostics
* Software Admin and Maintenance
* Upgrade and Platform Migration Guide, OR
* Call Pilot Administrator's Guide

b) We cannot find our CP CD's, and I can't find the software on their web-site. Is this something that a vendor can get a hold of?

Your vendor should be able to get you a CD with the doc's on it right away. The Upgrade docs will have everything you need.

DocVic
Need help? Call Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back