Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost function keys appearing on screen randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

briteyes

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
NZ
Hi a friend is using Windows Vista Home Edition. Randomly he has the top line of a qwerty keyboard appearing on his screen. That is just the escape key plus the function keys 1-8.
It is NOT the keyboard accessed through start, all programs,Accessories, accessibility. He can do this ok but this ghost keyboard does not allow him to actually use it at all. If anyone has heard of this he would appreciate some help in getting rid of same.
Many thanks

What type of machine model is it? I can't say that I have heard of anything similar to this. What would the point be for it, if as you say, the Keys provide no functionality?

How random is this fault, will troubleshooting like these following be possible?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

950093 How to use the System Configuration utility to troubleshoot configuration errors in Windows Vista

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like these in case it is malware related.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SuperAntispyware

Is it something as daft as a reflection of the Keyboard in the screen, probably not, but this is quite a strange fault you mention.

Are there any special accessibly options applicable to that type of make and model machine that are not part of Windows?

Sorry the model of laptop is a Toshiba Sattelite. I will check their shortcut keys.And thanks for the quick replies. Have forwarded them on to concerned party. Also told him how to join Tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back