Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost error after image restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoorda

Technical User
Sep 29, 2005
US
I am re-imaging a new hard drive with a ghost image of Win 2k. After Ghost puts the image to the new hard drive, I get the following error.

"unable to complete update of boot.ini file. Too many partitions."

I click OK, then it says clone completed successfully.

Once I reboot the machine, I get the following error at boot up. "Win200 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path & disk hardware."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is the disk config different to the machine the image was made on, eg more than one physical disk of more partitions?

Disks are in RAID but the new machine does not have raid and there are multiple partitions on the disk

I appreciate your help.

Hmmm not really my field of experties but i suspect that the boot.ini file will have the wrong info in.

Take a look at this link for info on altering it.

This is how an XP file should look for an install of Windows XP on Disk 0 (The primary) Partition 1

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back