Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost Deletions occurring under my user id

Status
Not open for further replies.

timwkao

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2004
US
Hey All,

Where do I being. We have NT Server 4.0 SP 6 in a domain setup.

Lately, we have had folders/files mysteriously disappear on us. So, recently, I enabled Auditing of the deletion (both success and failures) of files from our network drives (which all point to a local drive on the NT Server).

Well, over the weekend, a folder was "mysteriously" deleted, so I looked at the security log. It shows that the folder was deleted by me! (Well, my user anyways). It happened at 11:30pm last night, and I wasn't even here.

I log off of my workstation every day (we have VNC, but I rotate passwords for myself and VNC every month to a randomly generated strong password).

I looked at 11:29, and it shows a logon success event for type 3 (net use, net view, file manager).

Can anyone help me figure out what to do to figure out who is doing this, or how I might be able to track it. I am thinking about just setting my account to disabled before I leave every day now....

Thanks in advance!

Tim Kao

Retire your userid and create a new one that is complex / complicated and do the same with your password. You should have an admin user ( assuming you are the admin)and a seperqate regular user, don't use your admin user for anything except server maintanace, use your regular user with "user" perms to do everything else. Too many admins have only one login and that leaves you open for a big mess.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back