Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost and RedHat 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

moapple

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
Does Ghost have any problems imaging a dual boot of Windows 2000 and RedHat8?

We've used Ghost to consistantly image and deploy a dual Win2k Pro and RH73 image without much trouble. I say "without much trouble" because we did have a few challenges that I haven't had time to work through. The setting was a classroom situation with an instructor computer running only RH73 and student machines running W2kPro and RH73.

1. The instructor computer (running only RH73) also had Open Office installed; Ghost seemed to crash out when creating the image. Ghost's output showed it failing during the copy of the OO files. We did a bit by bit copy of the drive instead and that too failed. We worked around it by copying the OO installation files to the instructor computer, then imaging it, then installing OO from the files once the image was deployed to a classroom. Not eligant, and I'm dying to know what the real problem was, but haven't had time.

2. The client images also had a few problems. They refused to boot passed the LILO "choices" screen. You would pick either RH or W2kP from the menu, it would say it was starting the choosen OS, and then freeze. As I recall we also worked around this with the bit by bit copy as opposed to the normal imaging routine.

Once the choosen OS boots, its normal PnP functionality kicks in and you have to help it along (it runs Xconfigurator, etc). We created the images on fairly different hardware than it was used on and didn't have any trouble.

Sorry so vague on some of the above - it was many months ago and I rarely work with Ghost (our Operations guy is the guru and I was involved solely because he doesn't know Linux). Hope this helps.

Damon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back