Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost & smaller partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement131

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
CA
I have a slight problem. first, i created an image of my XP sp2 system using Norton Ghost 9 and saved it onto the network drive.

then at a later time i used partition magic to partition my hard drive.

then at some point in time i copied the Image of the system onto one of the partitions.

Now i need to restore the System image.
which brings me here today with the following problems.

When inserting the symantec recovery disc, the system will not set up the network connection (this works on 2 of my other office computers)but rather i get the error "failed to install network adapter -- check winbom". This prevents me from restoring my entire hard drive to day 1.

my second and less favourable option (b/c if my HD fails, then i am screwed)is to run the restore from the partition with the image. However, as the partition was created after the image was created, the size of the image indicates that it is less than the partition. (note the original hard drive was 250GB, then i created an image (4.66GB)and subsequently the C:drive partition is 60GB.

of course another problem is that the disc image is greater than that of a DVD which i have read somewhere that the max capacity is 4464GB.

here are my questions.
1. how can i get the cpu to recognize the network.
2. if i install an old NIC from one of my other cpu's, will it recognize that card.
3. can i restore the image 4.66GB on one of the partitions to the C: drive partition which is now 40GH even though it is smaller than original hard drive size 250GB.
4. Could i copy the original disc image onto a dual layer DVD (9GB), if so what method would i have to do this.

any info relating to the above would be appreciated.

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

you can certainly restore the 4.66GB image to the 40GB partition - its the data size that matters. I've done this many times with Ghost8 so presume Ghost9 will cope at least as well!

It will be a driver issue for your NIC that is causing the network problem. If you have access to a NIC that you know works, use that instead.
As was said above by wolluf, you can restore the 4.66gb to a larger partition, I have never had a problem with this, but I do use Acronis True Image. Ghost should be the same though.
With the DVD dual layer, this will depend wether the machine you are try to restore the image too can read a dual layer DVD. Apart from that it should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back