Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GH Trout question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2018
US
Im working on taking out unused analog lines. Ive gone through and found all the faxes that don't answer, and moving on to modems, credit card machines, single lines etc. I found this quote by Gene.

GHTROUT (IS/IT--Management) 16 Jun 11 15:34

i.e. Put the leads of a meter (set to milliamps) in between one lead of the cross-connect and the TN (so you are in series with the loop of the line) then call the phone. The mA will be higher if there is a device at the end. Modem, phone, fax - they are all detected.

If you are really creative, you can make a "rig" where you pull out a shelf tail feeding an analog card and put your contraption with 25 pairs fanned out to a split 66 block that has the oppsite geneder on the other side of the block. One amp cable goes to the shelf, and the other to the MDF cable. Your split 66 block is the in the middle. Then you can meter and call each one without the risk of breaking cross connections at the MDF.

My question is does anyone have one of these "contraptions?" Id like to make one and sure would appreciate a picture or more info on making one. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back