Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GForce4 card looks fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

denwood

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
I am trying to connect my PC to a TV for instructional purposes. While using the s-video connections on the TV and GeForce 4 card, the TV screen appears fuzzy. The monitor is fine, but I cannot adjust the picture on the
TV to be able to read text/labels. I was assuming that the TV picture should be as clear as a regular TV show. Am I assuming too much?

Any help? or any other solutions? recommendations?

A NTSC monitor can only handle 640 x 480, 60Hz - unless it has been designed for higher (the combo 'TV / VGA Monitor"). The dot pitch of a NTSC TV is only around .60 and cannot handle more, along with the 60Hz interlaced fixed refresh rate.

Even then it will never appear as sharp as 640x480 on your monitor due to the decoding of the Y/C components (that is, the chroma/brightness, which are the 2 seperate signals that make up 'S-VHS' cable signals). A computer monitor does not have that extra decoding circuitry to degade the picture, along with higher refresh, closer dot pitch, no comb filters, lower noise floor, yadda yadda yadda... Your mileage may vary...

In other words..."YES", you were assuming too much! [pipe]

The text on your monitor is defined for less than a .3 dot pitch and would easily look 'fuzzy' on a TV screen. A TV's resolution is nowhere near a VGA monitor. Since video is usually encoded in 768 x 576 or less (sometimes 352 x 288), it doesn't appear as blurred on a TV screen.

I know it sounds backwards that full motion video can be displayed by a TV better than simple text from your pc, but that's just the way it is...

[deejay]
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back