Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GF4 Ti-4200 Monitor Stanby Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood101

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
GB
Hi all.
I'm having real problems with my system at the moment.
I can seem to run Opengl games, such as MOHAA, RTCW etc fine. But when it comes to D3D games and 3dMARK2001SE for example, the system just puts my monitor into standby and i have to reboot.
Anyone got any suggestions on what to do?
thanx

400w PSU
ABIT KR7A-133 (Bios 7G)
Athlon xp1800
512mb DDR
Inno3d Geforce 4 Ti-4200 64mb
Sonic Fury Sound card
Maxtor 40gb 7200 ATA133
Pioneer 16x DVD
CDRW
Windows 2000 Pro
Detenator Drivers v29.42
Via 4-in-1 v4.40

Did you just upgrade from an old card? If so, make sure to run the configuration utilities for the new games (if they have the option to configure before entering the game). If they are still set to use an old card's settings, they may be trying to run your monitor in an incompatible refresh rate/resolution, resulting in your monitor turning off.

If the games make you enter the game in order to change settings, you can put your old card in, set all to default video settings and try again.

Other than that, try all of the basics....directx versions, video drivers, etc....

Good luck

Try using a refresh rate fixer, something like PowerStrip. Doing so you can set the refresh rate for each resolution.

I guess your problem stems from invalid (for your monitor) refresh rates in DirectX modes...

Christoph

I had the same problem with my gf4 4200. i found that looking at my monitor i had the correct settings. the one thing i did was to change the monitor to plug n play.this seemed to work

i have the same video card.
i have the same problem.
i tried everything and the only thing that solved this is UNDERCLOCKING the stupid card (250mhz core 500mhz mem clock would do). Putting memory heatsinks won't help at all. seems like inno3D just stripped out 64mb out of the 128mb version and overclocked it to 513mhz...
AThlonXP 1600
256mb pc2100 cl2
gigabyte ga-7vrx
350watts enermax psu (dual fan)
17" aoc 7klr monitor (plug n play drivers)
nvidia's 40.41 detonator

I tried underclocking the card but i am still getting the same freezes and my screen still goes blank.
I've tried everything i know on how to resolve this.
What OS are you using?

Another suggestion which worked for a really serious reboot problem i once had:

Sounds simple but try the following
1) uninstall the display drivers
2) set to standard vga
3) reboot
4) install the latest via4in1 drivers
5) install the latest reference drivers for your card

This (especially the 4in1) solved a lock-up/reboot problem that appeared after playing for some minutes.

Christoph

I've just done a reinstall of my machine with just the bare components.
installed win98se
installed latest 4-in-1
installed directx 8.1
installed latest official nvidia drivers.

Still exactly the same problem.
my bios is set to
agp 2x
fastwrites off
agp drive strength auto (tried ea and ff with no luck)

I'm going mad, i just want to play some games!

Wood101,
what is your AGP aperture size set in BIOS?

This may affect the stability, i'm not sure about that. Try setting it to 128MB, maybe this will help...

Or at last option, try installing Win2k or WinXP, maybe this solves your problem. But this is the very last option i guess

Christoph

Christoph,
I've tried setting the agp apature size to 64, 128 and even 256 but all with the same results.
If i install xp i get the "infinite loop error". thats why i went back to win98se.
How can i tell how hot my cpu/gpu is getting when trying to play 3d games?

Wood101,
hm, i guess then i'm out of options...

I don't know how to generally read the CPU/GPU temperature. CPU temperature can be read by some tools, but i don't know their name. I'm not sure, if it's possible to read the GPU temperature.
But my guess is, that your problem isn't because of overheating. If it would, then normally you could play for some minutes before crashing/rebooting. But if you wanna be sure, run your PC with open case, this should solve any temperature problem.

Christoph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back