Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting wrong netmask while using dialup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssphoenix

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2001
US
I am getting everything correct (dhcp, dns, wins)with the exception of netmask while trying to connect remotely. From a win2kpro I am dialing into a terminal server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Everything is patched to the max.

Thanks

What netmask are you expecting? What are you getting? Are you having a problem with routing at all? If not then I wouldn't worry about your netmask. It may be a windows thing.

Thanks for your respose but I am not getting anything. I dial in properly (I see the connection made by the terminal server). Everything is correct DHCP (I even set it to get a different range of IP for remote), wins. The default gateway is the PC itself and the net mask is 255.255.255.255. I am expecting 255.255.255.0 and the gateway obviously is wrong. With this setting I cannot ping anything and as a result cannot get into my exchange. I've tried also to use lmhost files with no good result.

I stumbled upon a document from microsoft stating that by default win2k will receive a 255.255.255.255 netmask. Why?
How can I change that? I've gone through the registry settings as well. Found a remote key for DHCP. Doesn't seem to do anything.

I've tried win98 with latest DUN and no go. As a result I upgraded to win2k. Same thing.

I don't see how the modem could be the problem. Is it possible that IBM (it is an IBM T22 latop) might have proprietary software that would cause that?

Please help and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back