Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting windows 2000 to install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thugpoet22

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Reciently my computer crashed and I lost all information and partitions. Now when i boot up my computer it tells me that i am missing operating system. I tryed to use my recover disk but that would work either. So i decided to go out and get windows 2000 and install that but for some reason that wont install. When i put the disk in and i boot from the cd rom drive i get this message "Invalid System disk replace disk and then press any key" I really hope someone can help. Post if you have any suggestions

You need to be able to boot from a CD-ROM.

1. Make sure your PC is set to boot from a CD. Check the BIOS for the boot-sequence - the CD-ROM should be showing, and before the Hard-disk (IDE).
2. Make sure you can boot from this CD (try on another PC).

If all goes right, after turning-on the PC with the CD in the drive, a message should show - 'press any key to boot from CD-ROM' or something like that.

Can read more on bootable CDs here:

I have a problem identical to thugpoet22's so I tried to follow the sugestions. The BIOS boot-sequence did not contain the CDRom I wanted to boot from. When I tried to add it or change the sequence I was not able. I could navigate through the setup screen but was unable to change anything. Is this a motherboard issue?

Hi, thugpoet22

If you are installing Windows 2000 and can't boot from the CD-ROM, then you'll need the boot diskettes. A set ships in the retail boxed copy of Windows 2000, but you can also create them from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.

To do so, insert the Windows 2000 CD-ROM into any computer running Windows 95, 98, NT, or Windows 2000. Click Start >> Run (or open a Command Prompt) and type:

d:\bootdisk\makeboot.bat a:

You'll be prompted for a blank diskette and the process will begin. You'll need a total of four blank diskettes to make all of the boot diskettes for Windows 2000.

Use the first of these four diskettes to boot your original PC. Follow the setup instructions which will in due course look for the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back