Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting values from ASP into Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancroft

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
GB
Hello

I am trying to retrieve data from an asp file called auctinfo.asp and display it in a flash file embedded in an Ebay page.

The user on ebay types in a reference number which takes them to a page where the swf file is automatically embedded thus:

<EMBED SRC=&quot; (etc...)

what i need to do is connect from the flash 1.swf to the asp file (already written and working) and drag in various variables such as listprice and display them on the ebay site.

The problem is that because the ?itemnumber= and &auctid= will be different for each product displayed i can't figure out how to send details from the flash to the asp file for any particular ?itemnumber= and &auctid= combination and then return and display details such as itemprice, manufacturer name etc.

Any help on this will be MOST welcome!

Thanx.

dont see why it should be any different for asp rather than php

ie use loadvars objects and sendandload

you can pass variables into the swf with
<param name=&quot;movie&quot; value=&quot;images/newbanner.swf?var=<asp code; variable here>&quot;>

it will work in the param but not the embed from what i have found. i work with php, not asp, but the principle is the same
hope that helps
cheers
paul

Or you could just ask me since I am the original author of that 1.swf file :) I just hope you get paid for your work.. Those guys at HHC still owe me over 21k for the original development of that 1.swf and the rest of that system.

Shane

Could you explain how you use the

<param name=&quot;movie&quot; value=&quot;images/newbanner.swf?var=<asp code; variable here>&quot;>

within flash, what do you have to do in order to access this value??

Try this.

If ASP is this:

Actionscript is this:

myVar = _root.var;

Hope that helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back