Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting the Quote Marks right....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2009
US
Hi, all,
The following line of VB code is supposed to concatenate fields to create a sql string:

Where = Where & " AND [Year] Between + Me![Year] + And " ""+ Me![Year 2] +""

Year and Year 2 are text fields.

I keep getting errors associated with the quotation marks. Can someone let me know how the quotation marks SHOULD go? I'm cross-eyed looking at it!
Thanks again.

Did you have a specific reason for using + rather than &? Try:
Code:
Where = Where & " AND [Year] Between '"  & _
    Me![Year] & "' And '" & Me![Year 2] & "' "

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

When I use the following
Where = Where & " AND [Class Year] Between '" & Me![Class Year] & "' And '" & Me![Class Year 2] & "' "
and do not enter anything into the class year or class year 2 fields, the query formats as follows:
Between '' And ''
I would like for NOTHING to show up if there is no entry to the 2 fields.
I think we may be off a little on the quotation marks?

I once has a dynamic query sooooo complex I got lost in the code with all the quotes. To make life easier I used the chr(39) and other chr values...

Also for last names like O'Brien, I would swap out the single quote after the O with ` symbol, which went un-noticed as a change...

htwh,

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

I would like for NOTHING to show up if there is no entry to the 2 fields
Code:
Where = Where & " AND [Year] Between '" + Me![Year] + "' And '" + Me![Year 2] + "' "

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I think you want the variable Where, which may not be a good field name to use per reserved names, to be empty if both Me![Year] and Me![Year 2] are empty or null...

If that is the case...

<code>
IF (Me![Year] and Me![Year 2] are empty or null)
Where = ""
ELSE
Where = Where & " AND [Year] Between '" + Me![Year] + "' And '" + Me![Year 2] + "' "
END IF

</code>

You will need to lookup syntax for:
IF (Me![Year] and Me![Year 2] are empty or null)

Remember if you have text fields, users may enter an space to make an empty string which will is not a Null value. So, you can check ISNull or LEN(TRIM([year]))< 2...

htwh,

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

I think you misunderstand. This is used to create a SQL statement, in which the WHERE clause is a necessary component.

So, simply change
Where = ""
with
Where = Where & ""

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back