Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting the most out of my cable connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Programmer
Aug 23, 2000
US
I am interested in maximizing my cable connection to the internet.

My Set-Up:
Win2k, RoadRunner cable service, IE 5.5

Is there anything I can do with hardware or software that will enhance my connection speed? Is there anything I should not do because it will hurt my system?

Thanks, Turbo

There's not much you could do re speed issue with your cable modem, w/c I'm guessing your getting about 384kbs download and 128kbs upload. I have the same issue, trying to make things faster (with all things fast already compared to dial up). Your best time to get faster speeds is when there are not too many users using the same modem line you're using, e.g., midday of a weekday, early in the morning, times when most of the majority of the users are at work.

:)

Thanks for the response. How would I find out if others are on the line? Does pinging the line tell me this and if so how does pinging a line work?

Turbo

"There is a fine line between confidence and conceit" - Ken Mai

along the same lines... just out of curiosity.. is there any way to "discover" the network setup used by the cable company... i can identify things like the dhcp server ip, and my ip and stuff like that.. but id like to know as much about the network setup as possible... are there any utilities that will give me a "network diagram" kind of a super tracert?

You can edit the windows registry to get faster speeds. You should check out for a program that mames it easy to change settings without opening regedit.

there are many programs that will "map" your cable network, if you are using windows you could try SuperScan, or CheckIP.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back