Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting subquery error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhuffst

Programmer
Jun 23, 2003
US
I have a report that does multiple types of counts
1. Count the number of violations per industry. This works fine.
2. count the industries that meet a certain criteria ...get a syntax error on this
3. count the industries that meet the criteria in item 2 AND are active .... haven't done yet

Can someone look at the dcount I used for item 2 and tell me what I did wrong?
Also how would I modify item 2 to add in the 3rd conditions of being active?

Code:
=DCount("PermitNo","t_PermitAccounts","PermitNo Not In (""13819"",""13820"",""13829"") & " AND t_PermitOps.ClassCode IN ('FOG', 'BMP') "  WHERE t_PermitAccounts.PermitNo = t_PermitOps.PermitNO)")

thanks in advance Lhuffst

I did not look at the whole thing but at a minimum you have the word "where" in the middle of the constraint.

Why double quotes here: ""13819"",""13820"",""13829""? If numbers no quotes, if text single quotes.

I replaced the double quotes with a single quote and now it says #error

replaced code
Code:
=DCount("PermitNo","t_PermitAccounts","PermitNo Not In ('13819','13820','13829')  AND t_PermitOps.ClassCode IN ('FOG', 'BMP')   WHERE t_PermitAccounts.PermitNo = t_PermitOps.PermitNO)")

I also did this in a query which returned the right count. I made a subreport to display the count but when I add it to the report, it just displays as blank.
I didn't put parent/child links because I need it to count all of the industries not just the ones that had violations. Any suggestions?

So if you can make a correct query you can use a dcount on that
=dcount("*","yourNewQuery")
The clause "where" in your above dcount is incorrect. I assume it should be "AND" or "OR".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back