Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyr

Programmer
Nov 30, 2000
US
Hope somebody can help. I've created web-based applications for over 6 years. I've recently started coding VB 6 applications and have gotten the hang of it pretty quickly. One thing I've never done is created a server side dll that can be executed over the web. I'd assume that what I'm looking for is an ActiveX DLL? I have a rather large page that is in VBScript/ASP that we use to process credit card transactions via form post, and I'd like to make it a DLL that does form requests and returns a comma delimited string. Is the ActiveX DLL the way to go? Any good references on the web on how to achieve this? The ASP works fine, just looking for something a little more secure...

Thanks,
Bobby

I don't know much about ASP, but ActiveX dlls run perfectly well from script. I don't think you can execute it over the WEB though, since it's in-process. It will have to be executed on the server, I guess.

Greetings,
Rick

When you say "executed over the web", do you mean that the actual execution (i. e. which processor are you using, the client's or the server's) is handled by the web client or by the server at the behest of the web client? You can do either one. Let me know and I'll see if I can help out.

Bob Rodes

Thanks for responding. After doing a bit of research, I think what I am looking for is an ISAPI Extension. I'm looking to be able to post to a URL such as My research tells me that ISAPI extensions are written in C++, so I'd be out of luck on this one..

Thanks,
Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back