Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting started MSDE, SQL 7, VB 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertounge

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
CA
I am looking for sample code for developing a SQL 7 database and destributing it with MSDE. I am building a VB front end. I have read conflicting reports regarding SQL 7. One report stated that MSDE and SQL 7 cannot be installed on one machine at the same time. The MS website recommends that you develope in SQL 7 and then distribute with MSDE?? If anyone knows of s site with some good sample code it would be greatly appreciated. I do understand programming basics but I have never used SQL 7 or MSDE before or bundled a front end, a dbms, and a database together for distribution before so I am a little confused.

Thanks in advance for anyone that helps.

I think the main consideration here is that MSDE doesn't come with a design interface so you can use SQL Server for that and then deploy with MSDE and your database. JHall

Answers to most of the questions you have asked can be found on the site:

On this site you will find downloads on installation and connection to MSDE on target machine.

Also look at the "General FAQ" link.

You should also find useful, the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q251270, at:

(This article also talks about how to distribute your MSDE application if your application was written with Access 2000)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back