Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting server to recognize proliant storage array

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmooc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2006
CA
Hello!

I have a Proliant 5000 server, which I have to wipe out all the data before sending it off to a non profit organization as donation. Additionally there is also couple of proliant storage arrays, which have hard, drives on it that I have to format before sending them off as well. I need to know how to get the proliant server to recognize the extra storage array. The storage arrys are attached to the server via scisi cable. I also have the 4.2 smart disk cd, which I use to boot into all the system config options. I am able to see all the hard drives of the server but not the storage array when I boot it up with the smart cd.

Thanks,
Helen

Actually I was playing with it couple time and rebooting with the Smart boot disk. Eventually the server recognized the storage array. When I went into the configuration option, it was showing me the server set up as RAID 0 and the storage array as RAID 5. I changed the Storage array to RAID 0 and saved the configuration. Is this sufficient in terms of wiping out the data on the Storage drive?

Thanks,
Helen

Slightly safer would be to use SmartStart CD to wipe all configs then move the hard drives round a bit.
The wipe doesn't delete any data as such just the information about which drive is in which array etc.
But when they create a new array any existing data will get overwritten.

Neill

Thank you Neil. After playing around with it I sort of figured that out and though recreating the array on the hard such as changing it from RAID 0 from RAID 5 sort wipe out the partition structure. I also swapped all the hard drives around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back