Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting rid of WinXP Folder Icons... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robofactory

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
US
Hi - got a couple of quick XP Home questions:

1.) How do I get rid of the content icons on folders in Windows Explorer?

2.) Is there a way to make Explorer view files as Web Page, a la Win98? I deal with tons of graphics files, and the View as Web Page was one of the best features of 98...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

John
"The Mind Is A Terrible Thing..."

Linney -

Thanks for the info on the View as Web Page...

As for the icons - yes, I mix & match the Thumbnails and Details views - my gripe is: if I Thumbnail view a folder with many files, and also many sub-folders, the folders get the preview skins, which among other things makes my HD grind like crazy - is there a way to turn these off? I use TweakUI, and I am not afraid to RegEdit...

Thanks again!

John

In Folder Options under View have you unchecked "Do Not Cache Thumbnails"?

This disables automatic storage of folder thumbnails in a cache file. When you store thumbnail images in a cache file, Windows can reuse them instead of creating new ones every time you open a folder. If you disable this automatic storage function, folders that contain thumbnails might take longer to open.

Have a look at the Customize tab on the properties of a Thumbnail folder and see if you can do anything there.

In Thumbnails view, Windows displays up to four images from your folder on the folder icon by default. The images Windows displays are the last four images you modified.
You can choose the picture that identifies a folder in Thumbnails view. The image file you choose does not have to be stored in the folder it identifies.

Also in Folder Options under View have a look at "Apply to all Folders" and "Reset All Folders", maybe you can do something via them.

Sorry for the vagueness but I don't use Thumbnails often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back