Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting rid of the quotes in VB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msturges

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
ZA
Hi,

I'm using VB to read in a file, and depending on the data content per line, I write that line to a seperate output file. The problem is that when I write to the output file, the output string is always encapsulated automatically in quotation marks("). I don't want these quotation marks in my output file.

Currently I'm using the Write function :

Example :

string = "My String"

Write #2, string

Output :
"My String"

Output should look like this :
My String (no quotes)

Does anyone know of a different function to use or a way to specify not to use the quotes within the Write function??

thanks
Mike.

You cannot change the VB rules. Using the sequential mode VB always places quotes aroung strings. Try Writing a number. You will see that the number does not have quotes but if writing more than one field will be seperated by a comma. That is how VB reads and seperates fields in a sequential file.
eg. "String",101

If you read the file you have written and display the fields, you will see that there are no quotes.

You can create a random file. There are no quotes there.
However you must create a user type variable.

What exactly is a user type variable??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back