Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting rid of log files

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBarron

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
GB
can you just delete the log files or do they have to be removed via microsoft backup. I have a problem that my disk is filling up with log files and will soon shutdown exchange, but I don't have enough free disk space anywhere to put the backup file

Depends what logfiles you are talking about!
what are the names and where are they ? If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

they are in c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata

a typical example of a filename is e000260d.log

Those are defined and controlled in your Storage groups.
If you want less space usage, enable zero-out and circular logging If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

OK, have done that. But will it get rid of the existing logs, and if not, then can I delete them manually?

Hi

I have deleted these files before without any problems. I will also use marcs41 post to see if I can stop my files being created. Please post if you find any more information.

Regards

marcs41 suggestion has worked for me. My logs have cleared

Thanks for the help

You want to be careful using Circular Logging. Using this option means that exchange will overwrite old log files to save space.

The problem occurs if you have a server crash and there are log files that haven't been committed to the database then exchange will not be able to 'replay' the log files into the database because they have been over written.

Circular Logging should really only be used when you are importing large amount of data into the information store (e.g. during a migration).

The best way to clear the log files is to perform a Full Backup on the information store which will automatically delete any committed log files.

Also with circular logging on you can not perform an incremental or differential backup.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

True ACraib.
I added the circular because of PaulBaron's diskscpace problem.
Then again, the best thing to do is upgrade the disk of course. If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Circular Logging is not a good idea.
When you backup with backup exec. it
deletes the logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back