Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting rid of Gateway Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2002
US
Greetings all, I have a Gateway desktop that I am trying to format and put Linux on but I don't know how to get rid of the Gateway go back that appears when the computer is booted up. Any suggestions. Machine is a Gateway Select. I got Linux to load, but when I restarted the computer it came up with Gateway Go Back and then tells me there is invalid media and to put a floppy in the drive. Not sure if this is a hidden partition or firmware on the motherboard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wally Steadman

Goback is a Symantec product. It should give you an option to start without goback. Format the drive under linux before you install

-David
2006, 2007 & 2008 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (VB)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Use fdisk.exe to remove every partition on that drive. Once you've done that, use "fdisk /mbr" to rewrite the boot record and you will have a completely wiped drive.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back