Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting rid of dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajduk1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2005
GB
I have a pc with 2 partitions c: (5gig) & d: (60gig) with win98 on c: and XP on d:. I have a menu choice on bootup which to choose. I wish to get rid of the win 98 install and whipe the c: drive totally and be left with just the XP install on the d: drive how can I accomplish this without reformatting?

AJD

Hi,

I would do the following:

1) Edit the boot.ini so that there is only the XP installation present and test this boots you straight into XP ok without you need to do anything

2) Within XP you can then use the Disk Management tool to delete the C partition. It would be better though if you used something like Partion Magic as you can then delete the C partition and then expand the XP install into this space

Remember - when you are removing partitions and modifying them you have to assume the worst so ensure you have a full back of your data on an external source.

Thanks.

----------------------------------------
"Nobody cares how it works, as long as it works

gavm99 said:
2) Within XP you can then use the Disk Management tool to delete the C partition. It would be better though if you used something like Partion Magic as you can then delete the C partition and then expand the XP install into this space

Warning, if you do that, and XP is using C as the boot drive, then you'll render XP unbootable.

I would just remove the entry from boot.ini and then just delete anything pertaining to the Win98 installation.

The Windows folder, the program files folder etc..
But I would not format the entire partition unless I'm certain XP isn't using it to boot.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back