Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Ready to install new Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

droze22

Technical User
Dec 13, 2003
US
I am getting ready to install 2 new servers into my network and I amm running a native win2k network, the new servers are 2003 do I need to run 1 is going to run exchange and the other is a sql.

Does the following need to be run

adprep
domainprep
forestprep

is there anything else that needs to be run?

You don't need to run any of those. Just install the OS and add the machines to the domain as member servers. I wouldn't specify either the Exchange or SQL server as a Domain Controller.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

If you're upgrading to 2003 from 2000, and either server will be a DC, then, yes, you need to run the adprep commands. If you're installing Windows 2003 R2 DCs, use the version of adprep on the second R2 CD.

If you're not making either server a DC, then you don't need to run adprep. As monsterjta mentioned, I wouldn't put either on a DC either. If you're going to make the Exchange server a DC, you must promote it BEFORE installing Exchange.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back