Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting ready to go a new backup route, looking for opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all that follow this thread,
We currently have local disk backups of all of our servers as well as having Carbonite back them up to the cloud. We do Full and Differential backups. We are looking at moving our in house backups to our other location and find a different software vendor that will allow us offsite backups as well as granular file/Exchange recovery. I am totally open to any ideas, hardware or software-wise, or any explanation of what your company uses.

Info about our company to help scale. We have about 150 users, a bunch of servers most of which are virtual, w/ Carbonite we have 2.5TB of backup space available and use about 80% currently, are probably considered a small business but our profit margin should swing us into the mid size. As with all projects, money is not growing on trees but we do have wiggle room.

Things I have looked at in the past:
We currently have a fiber connection to our other building with very minimal traffic on it, it is essentially a storage facility with little interaction to our main site. In a perfect world, I would want a full SSD RAID setup for receiving our in house Full and Dif backups and which will from there send to the cloud via whatever software we choose.

I have looked at a few different solutions but am not sure they will fall even close to the roughly 4k we are paying to Carbonite yearly. I believe Azure, Yosimite, and a few others are outside of our price range. IDrive looks within it.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Just to update this posting. I went with a Barracuda Backup appliance. Was a little cheaper annually actually then Carbonite and I had the option of having a physical appliance that would centrally allow the backups to go to and it would pass onto the cloud, alleviating the burden off the individual servers unlike Carbonite.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Isn't it great when you don't get a single reply and you have to figure it out for yourself and post the answer to your own question?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Honestly figured with the collection of minds here someone would have had an opinion on at least one backup solution but no luck I guess. Oh well, I'm happy with the backup solution except for one part. It doesnt backup PSQL databases correctly. So fair warning to anyone out there reading this.

I think some of these forums are just sparsely read. Your problem was over my pay grade.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I do agree that some of these are sparsely read. Hope you don't have any issue with Exchange 2016 for a while because no one is home there either... Hell for a while I was the only one answering questions in the HP Printers section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back