Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting "Like" results from a Query 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbacchus

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
Hi:

I am sure that this question is not new but I could not find a reference in this forum, but here it is:

I have two tables (TABLE A and TABLE B). TABLE A contains a list if school names and TABLE B also contains school names and other school information. Unfortunately, TABLE A's school name may be different than TABLE B's school name. So I have to look up TABLE A's school name in TABLE B and find the matching school. I would manually set the value up in TABLE A to search TABLE B. What would the query look like ?

Note: Each individual value in TABLE A would need to check all the records in TABLE B to determine if there is a match.

Your assistance would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.

fb

Code:
select tableA.name as Aname
     , iif(isnull(tableB.name)
           , 'no match' , tableB.name) as Bname
  from tableA
left outer
  join tableB
    on tableB.name = tableA.name

r937.com | rudy.ca

R937:

Thanks for the response. I am not sure if this will work, in my situation. I believe that I wasn't clear in my explaination. The name in Table A (or any part of the name) may appear in Table B. So by looking at the names in Table A and creating a list of possible hit for Table B may be my option. For example: Table A contains : "The MHT School for the advanced learning" while Table B's entry might be "The New York Manhattan sch for learning in advance" (this is a example). I will create a list with "advance" and need to check every record in Table B for the word "Advance".

So one entry in Table A will spin through the entire Table B to find a match before moving to the next record. I hope this helps.

thanks in advance.

fb

The list can be in a separate table (the prefered method) but I am afraid that the join will not work because of the differences between the two tables. I ran a query as an example and used the Like verb (like *advance*). The produced the expected result set but this may not be the way to go. What do you suggest ?

fb

Assuming that you have set up a sensible value in tableA.Name you can use the LIKE operator in the join as follows:

Code:
select tableA.name as Aname
     , iif(isnull(tableB.name)
           , 'no match' , tableB.name) as Bname
  from tableA
left outer
  join tableB
    on tableB.name like "*" & tableA.name & "*"

This should produce the answers that you want but is entirely dependent on how well you have chosen the values in tableA.

Bob Boffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back