Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting popup "adware virus pushed generic 20" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesfg02

Technical User
Jan 16, 2006
US
I tried running Norton scan and it locked up. I tried running Lavasoft and it froze also.

This laptop is eeepc 701 sd. (one of the mini's from laptop)

I suspect this is a trojan. I googled this popup and didn't find much info.

Any thoughts?

See if you can boot in safe mode and run Norton. Or see if you can boot to a Norton CD and run a scan that way.

Who is posting the warning message?

Norton? Windows? Other?

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Two:

1. DL MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti Malware) to a clean PC, transfer it to the EEPC, while it is in SAFEMODE and install it, run a full scan... if the transfer is not possible, then go into SAFEMODE with NETWORKING, and download it onto the EEPC and then install...

2. for future reference, there is a dedicated Forum here for exact that purpose, see: forum760

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I an not sure where the popup "adware virus pushed generic 20" maybe windows xp? This is one of those mini pc's.

I can't get the computer to stay in safe mode. If I get in safe mode, it's like it kicks itself out and starts up again. Any thoughts?

Hmmm I've never had that happen.

Just for fun can you try the following:

Start > Run > type in msconfig Click OK

choose the Boot.ini tab and ckeck /Safeboot

click OK

reboot your system to see if it remains in safe mode.

sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back