Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Out of MS DOS in Windows98

Status
Not open for further replies.

terminallyNeurotic

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
GB
I've had Windows98 from 1998 running on an IBM Aptive E18. Recently, when I left a long time between logging off and shutting down, the computer went into MS DOS mode after I tried to shut down. I switched off the power and left the computer for a while, but when I tried to boot up again, I was still getting MS DOS. In the past when this has happened, I have usually put in the recovery disk and lost everything I had on my hard drive. This time I'd rather that didn't happen.

How can I get my computer out of MS DOS without losing everything I have stored?

Thanks
All suggestions appreciated

So, when you boot the computer, you end up with a command prompt (>C:\) and that's it?

If so, type the VER command at the command prompt and see if it says Windows version 4.something. You may be booting to Windows but not initializing the GUI. Type WIN to see if Windows98 starts up.

If this is your problem, your MSDOS.SYS file got altered somehow (a prankster?). At the command prompt, type EDIT MSDOS.SYS and look for a line that says BOOTGUI. Set BOOTGUI = 1.

Also try typing exit at the c:\ if your in dos this usuall exits dos and puts you back into windows. Unless you have another problem.

If typing exit doesn't work try typing CD Windows. This should take you to the Windows directory. ie
C:\Windows Now type WIN and hit enter.

Rus

terminallyNeurotic -
Have you unplugged the machine for a few seconds and then turned it back on?

This is a bit of a long shot, but it does happen.... I had a customer who called with the same issue (different model computer). When they shut down, they accidentally selected the option that restarts into msdos mode. They hit the power button to turn the computer off, but being ATX it just put the system in a sleep mode. They hit power again to turn it back on, and the system woke up at the dos prompt, giving the illusion of being stuck there.

If it is not this, and the other solutions suggested don't work, then you might try sys c: using your windows 98 boot disk.

Good luck
Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

if you get the windows splash screen then it goes to DOS then it sounds like your shell has been changed.

from the command line type in edit c:\windows\system.ini [enter]
look for the line shell=
it should say Explorer.exe , if it is anything, change it back to Explorer.exe
then hit alt, arrow to exit, hit enter and when the conformation box opens, choose yes.
ctrl+alt+del to reboot and you should be up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back