Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting my Bluetooth by HP (Widcomm) working again

Status
Not open for further replies.

oserdavid

Technical User
Aug 1, 2006
GB
Since I bought an HP Compaq nx5000 laptop a few years ago I've had a pretty useful Bluetooth driver.A few months ago I thoughtlessly downloaded some 'recommended' software from Microsoft Update - which appears to have installed a Windows Bluetooth driver 'and/or' something from 'Darfon'. It does work - but it has less functionality, and, more importantly, seems to have disabled the original driver.

Bluetooth By HP (despite uninstalling and reinstalling it, from disk and, slightly updated, from HP website) claims there is no Bluetooth device found on my computer. Uninstalling the 'Windows Bluetooth Enumerator' - which is the only manifestation I can find to uninstall of the newer Windows driver - doesn't help, because it keeps reinstalling itself whenever I switch on the computer's Bluetooth radio.

So - upshot is - I do have working Bluetooth, but not with the functionality of the original Widcomm driver. I can live with it, but would rather be able to use the Widcomm one instead.

Anyone know how I can get rid of this pesky Windows (and/or Darfon) software permanently? Nothing I can find on Add/Remove Software or Windows Install Cleanup, or CCleaner's uninstall tool.

I'm assuming, of course, that if I can do this, the next time I reinstall Bluetooth By HP (Widcomm) it will successfully find the computer's Bluetooth device - an assumption which may or may not be correct.

David (Running Windows XP Pro SP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back